Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sick, Sick, Sick

As you may have guessed, I'm sick. And it's got me really worried/annoyed. It's no fun and I just want it to be done. I don't want to go to the doctor, because I don't enjoy the doctor and I don't want to get lectured about this and that. It all started last Wednesday when I was at the night job and my son threw up and got a sudden fever. The wife called all in a huff and I rushed home to help out. The poor little guy was laying down not doing anything, just watching Toy Story, a single tear perched on the side of his nose. I stayed home to help take care of him the next day and his fever was high most of the day after that and he got a little rash. My wife called the doctor and she said it was a normal thing for kids his age and to just monitor it and not be too alarmed. By Friday he was pretty much back to his normal self.

So it was all good, right? Nope, sorry, you're not in the clear yet. Saturday evening, my wife started to not feel good and then WHAMMO! out of nowhere she's got this big fever 102 something. YOWZA! So Saturday night/Sunday I'm playing Dr. Dad, trying to entertain the little one and take care of my wife while she's burning up. Sunday afternoon her fever's starting to come down and she's feeling marginally better when...WHAMMO! I'm standing in the kitchen doing whatever and I'm suddenly very dizzy. That feeling lasts for an hour or two and then KERPLOWIE! I'm suddenly very, very cold and I'm shivering despite the warm afternoon temperatures. Then later BIFF! my temperature starts climbing.

Monday morning, I was feeling a little better but still had a pretty good fever going (101 something). Since I had taken Thursday off and I have deadlines coming up fast, I figured that I couldn't take the day off work. Somehow I made my way through the day and actually got some stuff done. Then yesterday I had a very slight fever when I woke up, 99.63, and I was feeling better, but my throat was starting to hurt. Now my throat still hurts, it feels swollen, there are spots on the back of my throat, and I have some kind of rash on my hands and I'm worried.

According to my little amount of Internet research this morning: sore throat + high fever + swolen throat/tonsils + spots + rash = strep. I can't have strep right now. That would not be good for anyone. I don't get a day off until Sunday and then Monday I'm going out of town until next Thursday night. I'm really hoping that it's just a sore throat after being sick. I doubt I'd be able to get into a doctor in the next two days to get antibiotics and I'm worried that I could infect my family or coworkers if it is strep. I mentioned what I thought I have to one coworker this morning and he's (jokingly) acting like I'm a lepper.

Think positive. It's just a sore throat, right? Right?

No comments: