Sunday, January 11, 2009

Kitchen Experimentation, January 11 2009

It was another day for experimentation in the kitchen. Being my first day off in a couple of weeks, and since we still had the crock pot out from last night's dinner, I felt like trying something new. Today we had chicken. Here's what I did:

3 Chicken Breasts - cut into about one inch chunks
3 Medium Potatoes - mostly peeled and cut into about one inch chunks
1/4 Cup Onion - chopped
2-3 Medium Cloves of Garlic - Crushed
1 Can Asparagus
1 Teaspoon Celery Seed
1/2 Teaspoon Rosemary
1/2 Teaspoon Dill
Dash of Salt
1-1/2 Cups Chicken Broth

I put all of this in the crock pot on high heat for about five hours and stirred it every once in a while.

Here's the before shot:

Here's the after shot (not much difference):

It turned out ok. Everything was nice and tender. It also made the house smell nice. Brandi said all she could taste was the asparagus and rosemary. I mostly tasted the rosemary. If I do it again, I will cut back on or eliminate the rosemary and use more dill. Unfortunately, I'm now all out of dill. I love dill on chicken. Grilled chicken with dill and a little celery salt is magnificent.

2 comments:

Janiece said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed your dinner, but canned asparagus is an abomination in the eyes of the lord and should be banned from human existence. Really.

Fresh asparagus, now - that's different.

Lance said...

I'm really loving the new photos!

I have to agree that asparagus should never have been canned. I've actually found that TJ has a good frozen one. They can take the heat pretty well and not get mushy. My only complaint is that they are pencil thin. They can do in a pinch when good fresh ones cannot be found, although they might not fare so well in a crockpot.