Monday, March 23, 2009

Busy Weekend

Last weekend was a busy one, and I feel like I need a weekend to recover from the weekend. Home improvement will wear a guy out I guess. I spent Friday walking a local trade show. There was a Mary Kay convention/recruitment drive going on next door (no, I didn't sign up) and there were at least four light pink Cadillacs in the parking lot when I left.

Friday night was spent painting the ceiling in the dining room. It wasn't a terribly difficult task. I put up one and a half coats of paint and now the ceiling looks a lot better. It took a little getting used to the edge tool, so there'll be a little touching up at the top of the wall, but we had to touch up toddler marks anyway.

Saturday and Sunday I had to work all day and when I wasn't doing that I was installing our new faux-hardwood laminate in the dining room. I started the project Saturday night later than I wanted to because of all the prep-work that had to be done. There was a bit of a learning curve on Saturday night, mostly because I didn't take the time to think things through as far as where I cut the laminate. I was using a miter saw, but that was pretty noisy and it was chipping the boards, so I switched to a hand saw after a few cuts. Our awesome neighbor lent me his shop light after he saw that I was using the single bulb and the headlights on my wife's car to see what I was cutting in the garage.

Sunday's installation went a lot smoother, but since I had to work, I didn't quite finish. Three quarters of the room is done, with the most difficult part yet to be done. There's a corner cabinet that I'll have to cut around that I'm not looking forward to. Good thing I bought an extra box of flooring. Brandi took some pictures of the work in progress, which I don't have at the moment, but I'll get them up some time this week.