Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Overheard Conversation "...cause you're from India"

This morning I stopped in the gas station to by a big-ass Pepsi, since tired Matt was tired and only got about five hours sleep last night.

When I went into the gas station there was a gruny looking 20-something guy talking to the clerk. The conversation went like this.

Grungy guy: ...I recycle this stuff, steel, old stuff, whatever. There's all this stuff that was our fathers' and grandfathers' and people are just throwing it out. Like this *grabs something on the counter* imagine this was something from the 20s and people are just throwing it out. I take it and recycle it.

Clerk: How do you recycle it?

Grungy guy: I hold onto it for a week and then I try to sell it on Craigslist or in the newspaper. Or I'll go to a flea market, a swap meet. You know what a swap meet is cause you're from India.

Me: *jaw drop*

The guy went on to talk about how he also collects stuff from hoarders "You know, those people that have shit stacked up 25 feet high."

The clerk, as near as I could tell didn't bat an eye. I'm sure they get a lot of people saying strange, or obnoxious, or offensive things all the time. Still, it was not at all what I was expecting to hear on my way into work this morning.

No comments: