Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Nerds Everywhere Lament

I saw the sad news today that Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungons & Dragons died today at the age of 69. Apparently, he lived in Lake Geneva, WI, a place I've been to a few times. I was first introduced to the vast world of D&D during middle school, around the age of 12. I played that or some other d20-based game system that probably wouldn't have been around if it wasn't for him until sometime in college. I'd probably still be playing if the core game group hadn't dispersed.

It is unfortunate news, but I can't say that I'm terribly upset by it. It was intersting to see from the report that Gygax was holding weekly games at his home until as recently as January. I'm sure he would have been a very interesting and intelligent man to meet and hold a conversation with. Sad news for the world of gamers everywhere.

No comments: