Tuesday, April 1, 2008

National Poetry Month

April is National Poetry Month, and while I haven't written a poem in a while, it deserves to be recognized. I walked over to the library tonight (a mile one way when you're sick and it's cold out, not the best idea) and they are celebrating with Random Acts of Poetry. Scattered thoughout the library on postcard sized cards are excerpts from various poems. I collected a few that caught my eye and will leave them here. I will try to reproduce the spacing as they are on the card (ok after posting, apparently blogger doesn't like my spacing, so you'll just have to live without it). Maybe these will inspire you to write a poem or story of your own.


hip-hop
was mother and
father for
latchkey kids
busy birthing
fresh worlds

~Kevin Coval, "hai coup,"
Slingshot, A Hip-Hop Poetica


Nature makes
no mistakes,
but she
delights
in pranks...

~Wislawa Szymborska, "A Dinosaur's Skeleton,"
People On a Bridge


Just
by breathing,
you
become my
accomplice.

~Elaine Equi, from "A Plan,"
Americana

No comments: