Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rattling in My Brain

I've had another story idea that's been bouncing around my brain for a while, but lately it seems like its been there a lot more than usual. I even had a kind of catchy title pop up while driving this week. It's a very foggy idea, more a wouldn't it be kind of cool if kind of thing than a plausable story. But then again, that can be the making of a good story if it's told correctly. So anyway, I've always been interested in the Arthur mythos, you know, Merlin, Excalibur, Gwenevere and all that. There are so many rich stories there, not just of Arthur, but of his nights and the things that go on when they're not off fighting as well. I especially like the theme of the king being tied to the land, where if the king does well and is healthy, then the land is healthy. So I got to thinking of Arthur in different periods/locations. What would happen to him and his knights? Would the stories be the same, i.e. Gwenevere falling in love with Lancelot? Would Arthur have knowledge of his previous incarnations? Is the spirit or soul of Arthur reborn in others throughout time to write wrongs and keep the peace?

Enter Swordfight at the OK Corral, a tale of Arthur in the Wild West! Right off the bat though, from the way I originally envisioned it, the title doesn't work. In my first idea, Arthur still receives the sword Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake, but as swords are impractical in the old west, he takes it to a smith that crafts it into a pair of six shooters. He wouldn't be a king, obviously, he'd be a lawman, I think. He could be the Wyatt Earp character. Maybe the swordfight would happen and then he realizes how impractical the sword is when everyone else has guns and then he changes to the gun.

I don't know, I'm just thinkin' out loud here.

No comments: