Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Garage Sale Part Deux

So I know it’s Wednesday and the Great Garage Sale of ‘08 ended Sunday, but what can I say, I’m busy, so lay off. All in all, we made a good haul and I got rid of some of the big items that we don’t have a place for anymore. We totalled about $250ish. There’s still plenty to sell I’m sure, but I didn’t have time to go through and find it all. We’re pondering having another garage sale later this summer. We’ll see how it goes.

We had this old couch that we wanted to get rid of, and even at $5 no one would buy it. Some guy, mid 20’s I’d say, pulled up in an El Camino, backed up onto the curtain of the driveway actually, and went straight to it. He really liked it, and said he had one just like it but a little larger. He wanted it, but said he would come back because he wasn’t sure if he should take it or not. I got the impression he’d get in trouble with a girlfriend. He never did come back, and in the end we ended up putting it on the curb Sunday night (Monday is garbage day). It was still there when I left for work in the morning, but our neighbor said he was pretty sure he saw an El Camino come by and someone take it before the garbage came. Oh well, if it was him, the guy probably spent $5 in gas just to come by twice to get it.

There were some price negotiations, and by Sunday, I just wanted to get rid of the stuff, so I was taking just about anything. Some people were annoying at how low they went, but oh well.
Throughout the weekend, I tried to create a confined area where the garage sale ended by making a U at the end of the stuff, so people wouldn’t go back to the rest of the driveway. This didn’t work, and people still walked past to look at what we had closer to the garage, like we were hiding the really good stuff back there.

On Sunday, I was only open about half the day since traffic was slow and I didn’t feel like being out there any more, but as soon as I started to pack up, then people started coming, so I packed up really slowly. All in all we only ended up doing about $30 worth of business on Sunday, but then the weather was too good that day and it didn’t appear there were any other garage sales going on as there had been the previous two days.

So, all in all, it went well. We made a little more money than I would have anticipated, which is going into the wife wants a new refrigerator fund. Now I just have to get rid of a glass display case, a butcher’s block and a student desk that used to be my wife’s and I think was stolen from the set of Full House. Any takers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.