Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reality Shows Spewing Unreality?

I'll admit that I've seen a few reality television shows. Note that this doesn't mean that I follow any so called "reality" programming, but I've seen more than I would care to see of this TV phenomenon. It's been argued that reality shows aren't really real in that the footage is manipulated and the participants are coached to make more drama.

Well what about the unreal expectations that reality shows present to those that watch them and follow them, those people who watch these shows and think 'That could be me; I could be winning that money/losing that weight/finding love/etc.'

Finally, an experienced and trusted news source has started to address this issue.


In The Know: Are Reality Shows Setting Unrealistic Standards For Skanks?


Oh man, what would we do without The Onion?

4 comments:

Janiece said...

Ah, Onion, how I love thee!

vince said...

Reality shows have nothing to do with reality. And I second Janiece.

Some dude stuck in the Midwest said...

But what would we do without skanks on TV? Where would we get our daily doze of skankiness?

mattw said...

Konstantin, we can still have skanks, but we should be presented with a more realistic portrayal of skankiness. :)