Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A NaNoWriMo Update Post

I am on track for word count, as far as all of that goes. Originally, I had wanted to do 2,000 words per day and be at 60,000 by the end of the month, but with as hard as it was to get the story going initially and the fact that I was three days behind last week I'm happy to be where I'm at. I could cheat and copy in some text from the last time I tried to tell this story, but I don't want to do that. It would make the final word count feel like a lesser accomplishment. I plan to ad that stuff later, but not until NaNoWriMo is over and done with.

I know there is a lot of it that is seriously no good. Even as I type it I know it's no good, but I tell my internal editor that we'll fix it later and for right now we just need to get the story out. There are whole scenes, even, that I know are too revealing to the nature of certain characters and most likely would not make it into a subsequent rewrite.

Overall, I am pleased with what I have so far, and the story is coming together in interesting ways that I would not have seen coming. Characters are developing in ways that I would not have thought of when they first appeared in the story. It's not as funny as I would like, but that too will come later. I think part of the lack of humor is that I don't have time to be over the top right now and I'm pulling punches.

Meanwhile, I am managing to keep most everything else in balance between home and work. Mainly it's the time Brandi and I spend together that gets sacrificed as I can't really work on NaNo at home until after Logan is in bed. However, Brandi did get to schedule a play date for herself tonight with one of her best friends, which will be good for both of us. She gets to get out of the house, have a drink or two and unwind. I get to work on my NaNo without feeling guilty about not paying more attention to her, and then once I've reached my daily word count, I can feel free to watch a movie that Brandi doesn't want to watch or play Lego Batman some more, or maybe both if I type fast enough. I've found that if I'm not distracted, I could do up to 1,000 words in an hour. If I'm distracted though, I'm lucky to get 500 words in an hour.

I feel like taking a day off of NaNo and not thinking about it, but so far I haven't allowed myself to do so. The later it gets in the month the harder that will be to do because I'll have less time to play catch up, so it probably wont happen. I do miss reading, though, and as soon as NaNo is over I'm going to finally finish reading Uglies, which I started in October.

I hope everyone else who's participating in NaNoWriMo this year has hit their stride and is doing well. I feel a little bad that everyone I know in meat space that is doing it has either given up or hasn't gotten off the ground. But I can't make them do it, I can only offer encouragement.

No comments: