Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Re: The Election

I generally don't talk about politics here, so I'll keep this brief, because there are plenty of other people out there who have already discussed the election results and, I'm sure, with more of an educated perspective on it that I am capable of (just cruise through the rest of the UCF). In short, I'm very glad that Obama won. I don't know what I would have done/what would have happened if McCain would have won. His healthcare plan alone scared the shit out of me.

It was exciting to watch the coverage, to see Obama's lead grow so quickly. It was also exciting to see everyone in the city, waiting for the announcement. I know a couple of people that were there and can only imagine the atmosphere around the two parks last night. It was history being made and I'm proud that I went out and voted and that the candidate I chose succeeded. It all makes me feel like the future is just a little brighter than it was not all that long ago.

I am saddened, however, that it appears that Proposition 8 is going to pass in California. This doesn't affect me personally, but it could potentially affect loved ones and others I know down the road. I'll say again that it doesn't affect me personally. If two men or two women want to join in the bonds of marriage, it has no effect on my own. If they love each other and are committed to each other, why shouldn't they be allowed to have the same rights as a man and woman getting married? When I signed the marriage contract, there was nothing in it that said my vows would be less meaningful if a homosexual couple was to do the same thing. I just don't get it. Anyway. I haven't seen anything that says it's official yet, but it doesn't look good.

Oh, and watching the election coverage and trying to catch up on my NaNoWriMo word count doesn't work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, avoid directly taking political positions on my blog, because my family's political views run the extreme gamut from fanatical Christian right to placard-waving, marching Obama left. No matter what I post, I'd piss somebody off, and in some cases perhaps permanently.

So, I reserve my rabble rousing for thoughts on the process, and on general human rights, civil liberties and libertarian issues that don't push any of their buttons. My blog's really not about politics anyway - it just is on everyone's mind, lately.

I dropped off the chat at about 9:30 my time, last night, and wrote until 1am. I'll probably regret it come late afternoon. :P