Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Makes Me Absolutely Sick

I just heard about this at work. Melissa Calusinski, a 22-year-old teacher's assistant at the Mini Subee day care center that is less than a quarter mile from where I sit was charged with two counts of first degree murder for slamming a 16-month-old into the ground after she grew frustrated because he was being noisy. The poor baby, after being slammed to the floor, managed to crawl over to his infant seat and curl up in a ball. The article says that she had a background check, but her previous experience with children is unclear.

From what I heard in the office, and the article hints at it, Ms. Calusinski at least, tried to cover this up with some bogus story. My boss said she heard that the autopsy revealed that the force of the skull fracture would have been equivalent to a two-story fall.

This is making me feel sick to my stomach. If I were that baby's father, I don't think I would be able to stop myself from ripping that woman's throat out, possibly with my bare hands, but maybe with my teeth. I hope that woman gets everything that's coming to her, and I hope that Mini Subee sees some serious repercussions for what its employee did.

This is just another reason we didn't want to put Logan into daycare. I know that there are good daycare centers out there with good people that work at them, but we've heard too many horror stories about awful things that are done in them. This isn't the first horror story we've heard about this particular Mini Subee either.

So our children will be staying at home, thanks. And I need to stop thinking about this or...Matt Smash!

7 comments:

Janiece said...

I think I'm going to throw up.

Random Michelle K said...

Dear God, what is wrong with these people.

However, I'd like to point out that if for some reason you would need to use daycare, there are daycare centers now that have live video feeds for the parents.

My friend Kim can check on her daughter at any time during the day, and has been delighted with everything she has seen at her daycare.

So it's not all daycares that are evil, and the ones that are good have visible checks for the parents.

mattw said...

Janiece, my stomach is still roiling.

Michelle, I had not heard of that before. From what I've heard, it seems like small privately run day cares are better than large corporations.

Our main detractor is cost really, $300-$400 per week is beyond our budget. Even if Brandi was working full-time most or all of one of our paychecks would be going to day care. But add to that stories like these, and there's no way.

Anonymous said...

That kind of awful stuff just makes me cry in despair.

I'm glad you and Brandi have the option of her remaining at home with Logan. :)

vince said...

Oh my dear Lord! It makes me sick and want to cry. That poor baby and the poor parents. That woman should be locked up and never let out.

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction (if that happened to my child, I'd want revenge.) I have a two year old son and this story made me sick. The vision of that little boy grabbing his blanket and crawling back to his favorite chair to die makes me ill. My son was in day care for 1 yr. and I was never comfortable with it. After this story, I will never do it again. It's a sick, sick world. That teacher's life is over...she'll never work again (and hopefully she'll rot in jail until she dies)...and she'll have to think about what she did to that innocent little soul every single minute of every single day for the rest of her pathetic life.....

Anonymous said...

I too am appalled by this sad, sad story. I would think very hard before placing my children with strangers. However, what many people seem to forget is that there are many, many high-quality, wonderful daycares that will love, nurture and educate your child (ren). The type of care that I am talking about is not cheap, though and a parent must do their homework. This particular teacher was not teacher-qualified in the state of Illinois and was not qualified to be left alone in the classroom with the children (which was the situation when the incident occurred). This also falls on the management of the daycare center. Don’t think for a second that I am defending the teacher, in any way shape or form, though. I think she should rot in jail and have her head smashed on the floor a few times. (The child also had a twin sister who witnessed the incident) When terrible things like this happen, it is easy to give a blanket statement that daycare centers are bad places to take our children, but there are so many wonderful places to take your children, that stories like this really send a poor message. I am a teacher and am saddened that an incident like this occurred, but please keep in mind that this is not the norm and there are many loving, caring teachers who take wonderful care of children (in daycare centers, home daycares, and schools) everyday.